Ep 150: Memorizing Subtraction Facts
We're digging deep into subtraction! In this episode Pam and Kim talk about what they mean by "memorizing" single digit subtraction facts and the relationships that can empower students to own single digit facts and apply the same relationships to more sophisticated numbers as well.
- The different meanings of "memorize the facts"
- Relying on rote memory of facts in isolation leaves students with no other recourse
- "No timed drills" does not mean no work on facts, but different work
- Remove to 10
- Using Doubles
- Find the Difference
- Remove a Friendly Number Over
- Relationships are built, not rote-memorized
See episode 149 for more about the two meanings of subtraction
Check out our social media
Instagram: Pam Harris_math
Facebook: Pam Harris, author, mathematics education