Healthcare systems and supporting workers' wellbeing: Ft. Dame Clare Gerada
Team YOD were privileged to come together with the brilliant Dame Clare Gerada - who shares so many of YOD's values and aims.
- Dame Gerada is a GP, President of the Royal College of Practitioners, Founder & Medical Director of NHS Practitioner Health, Chair of Doctors In Distress, author of 'Beneath The White Coat' & a life-long advocate for supporting doctors' mental health.
- NHS Practitioner Health & Doctors In Distress sadly share the same catalyst for creation as YOD - being tragedy as a result of doctors' mental health 💔 - but also a deep passion for making a meaningful difference for doctors lives.
- Together, we identify common mental health struggles amongst doctors, often kept hidden - including a deep anxiety, lack of belonging, self blame & training that teaches you to hide emotions.
- We discuss the need to develop a sense of belonging between doctors - often lost through rotations and team changes.
- Dame Clare shares her views on which global healthcare system does best for doctors' emotional and mental health - and why.
- She tells us what changes need to happen to improve the institutional NHS problems she sees as responsible for causing doctors' mental health problems.
- And, despite the tough times, she speaks passionately about her joy from being a doctor and the commonality amongst doctors with this.
"We love caring for patients and we love bringing about change"
This podcast episode is sponsored by #FirstRespondersFirst in the 🇺🇸. We are privileged & proud to partner with them to support doctors' mental health globally. Find our more about the brilliant work they do here:
If you like what you hear, please do give us a rating to help us reach as many people as possible.
It is worth noting that this is a conversational piece and the opinions and views are of those in this discussion in its own context at that time of the recording. You Okay, Doc? is a charity supporting the mental health and wellbeing of doctors. Throughout our podcasts, we discuss issues affecting physical, emotional and mental wellbeing that at times some may find upsetting, if you find yourself affected by these please seek professional help.
As a charity, we need your help to keep going and develop to support and raise awareness of mental health for Doctors. Please check out our website https://youokaydoc.org.uk/ and our Instagram page to find out more and stay up to date with us. If you would like, you can also text donate to support the You Okay, Doc? charity by texting. To donate £3 text 'DOCTOR' to 70331, or to donate £5 text 'DOCTOR' to 70970. Thank you for listening and we look forward to creating more content. See you on the next YOD pod.