How to Set Up Your YouTube Channel Correctly (Brand Account vs Personal Account)
46: The question of YouTube Brand Account vs Personal Account came up recently with a client, and I discovered that a lot of people might wish they knew the difference sooner rather than later. So let's dive into how to set up your YouTube channel correctly!
Do you know whether you have a personal YouTube account or a Brand YouTube account? You may want to find out!
Here's why: if you ever want to have anyone–even a trusted friend–take a look at your YouTube analytics, update your thumbnails, or do anything on your channel, you will need to have a YouTube Brand Account.
You can tell whether or not you already have a brand account by visiting YouTube's documentation here.
If you find out that you have a personal account, and you want to switch to a brand account, there are some things you need to know...
- You will lose your custom URL (if you had one) but, according to YouTube, you can set it up again. Follow the instructions here.
- You will lose any comments that your channel's account made on your channel. So if you replied to any comments as your channel, those will be deleted. It seems silly, but it's true. This is one of the reasons why it's better to switch as soon as possible... don't wait until you have an even bigger channel with more comments to lose.
If you don't have a channel yet but you want to set one up, follow the step by step tutorial that I published inside of the Video for Bloggers and Content Creators Facebook group here. This will walk you through setting up a Brand YouTube Account from scratch.
- The Fast Way to 1K Masterclass: http://fastwayto1k.com
- How to set up your YouTube channel correctly - step by step tutorial: https://www.facebook.com/meredithpaynemarsh/videos/10215081182357519/
- Show notes: https://vidpromom.com/how-to-set-up-your-youtube-channel
- How to tell if you have a YouTube Brand Account: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7286468?hl=en
- How to Move your YouTube channel to another account: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3056283?hl=en
- INSTAGRAM: @vidpromom
- YOUTUBE: youtube.com/vidpromom
- FACEBOOK: facebook.com/vidpromom
- TWITTER: @meredithmarsh
I participate in various affiliate programs, including Amazon, and I sometimes get a commission through purchases made through my links here.