The Home of the Butcherbird: Where Only the Toughest Survive
This is the story of a place where only the toughest survive, including a species known as the butcher bird.
NCC on location: Carden Alvar, Ontario
- Learn more about alvar habitats and why they're important;
- Meet Bob Bowles, a local naturalist who's spent years learning and sharing the secrets of this unusual landscape at the Carden Alvar;
- Hear from NCC staffer Kristyn Ferguson says invasive dog-strangling vine is giving her nightmares;
- Find out why the loggerhead shrike is called the butcher bird, and learn about its habitat;
- Listen to Hazel Wheeler of Wildlife Preservation Canada as she sets up cages with juvenile shrikes on the Carden alvar, as part of a reintroduction program.
Nature Talks: The Nature Conservancy of Canada Podcast offers you fascinating stories about nature, why we need it in our lives, and the passionate Canadians helping to protect it. In this seven-part series, we’ll take listeners to some of Canada’s important natural areas, from the Bay of Fundy to Victoria. We talk to Canadians helping care for these places, from scientists to hometown heroes. Connect to Canada’s nature. Learn about the Nature Conservancy of Canada’s conservation work. And be inspired to find out how you can help support this work.