BJ Miller, M.D. - Psychedelics & Palliative Care: Finding Fulfillment in Life & Death
Paul F. Austin is joined by BJ Miller, M.D., co-founder of Mettle Health, for a discussion on psychedelics and living and dying well.
Find episode links, summary, and transcript here.
BJ Miller, M.D. is an established thought leader in the area of serious illness, end-of-life issues, and dying. He has been a physician for 19 years and has counseled over 1,000 patients and family members. This vast experience has led him to understand what people really need when dealing with difficult health situations.
BJ has given over 100 talks, both nationally and internationally, on the themes of serious illness and dying, He has given over 100 media interviews, including podcasts, radio, and print. His TED Talk, What Really Matters at the End of Life has been viewed over 11 million times. He is co-author of the book, A Beginner’s Guide to the End: Practical Advice for Living Life and Facing Death, published in 2019.
- Powerful insights and perspectives from BJ’s work in palliative and end-of-life care.
- From taboo to opportunity: examining attitudes towards death across cultures and history.
- How BJ became involved in the intersection of psychedelics and end-of-life.
- Looking at the data on psychedelic therapy for patients with end-of-life anxiety.
- “Anesthetics vs. Aesthetics”: BJ’s insights into a helpful set and setting for dying well.
- Embracing regret and fear at the end of life.
- The power of love—during life and at the time of death.
- Mettle Health, BJ’s service for patients and caregivers.
- Mettle Health
- Zen Hospice Project
- BJ Miller's TED Talk, "What really matters at the end of life"
- Ep. 136 - Jeremy Narby, Ph.D.: “More Than Molecules”: Plants as Living Teachers
- Presentation by Dr. BJ Miller & Dr. Justin Burke: "Exploring the Aesthetic Dimension of End-of-Life Care”
- Mettle Health on Youtube
- Mettle Health on Instagram
- Mettle Health on Twitter
- BJ Miller on Twitter
This podcast is brought to you by Third Wave's Mushroom Grow Kit. Get the tools you need to grow mushrooms along with an in-depth guide to finding spores.
This episode is brought to you by Apollo Neuro, the first scientifically validated wearable that actively improves your body’s resilience to stress. Apollo was developed by a friend of Third Wave, Dr. David Rabin M.D Ph.D., a neuroscientist and board-certified psychiatrist who has been studying the impact of chronic stress in humans for nearly 15 years. Third Wave listeners get 15% off—just use this link.