Diving Deep into Donor Conception
S14 EP4 | In the first part of this 2-part episode, we're diving deep into that Search for The Superhuman, y'all! Lisa Schuman and Dr. Mark Leondires, co-authors of "Building Your Family: The Complete Guide to Donor Conception," share insights on choosing the right donor and explore the unique perspectives and experiences LGBTQIA+ individuals bring to this exciting and complex family-building journey. Stay tuned for part 2, which will be released next Monday. OR catch it right now on our Patreon channel, where we'll delve into how the heck you navigate parenting and life as a donor-conceived family.
🏳️🌈About The Guest(s)🏳️🌈
Lisa Schuman is a therapist with almost 30 years of experience in reproductive medicine. She is the host of the Donor Conception Conversations Podcast and runs the Center for Family Building, a one-stop shop for resources and support for family-building journeys. Lisa is also the co-author of the book "Building Your Family: The Complete Guide to Donor Conception."
Dr. Mark Leondires is the medical director at Illume Fertility and the founder of Gay Parents to Be. He has personal experience with donor conception, having built his own family through egg donation and surrogacy. Dr. Mark is passionate about helping LGBTQIA+ individuals and couples navigate the family-building process and is dedicated to providing quality care and support.
1. Donor conception involves choosing a donor whose genetics and health history align with your values and priorities.
2. It's important to prioritize health and genetics when selecting a donor, rather than focusing solely on personal preferences or characteristics.
3. Psychological screening and testing can help ensure that donors are honest and mentally healthy.
4. Open and honest communication with children about their donor conception story is crucial for their emotional well-being and understanding of their identity.
5. Queer parents often have a unique perspective on donor conception, as they have already navigated the process of accepting their own identities and building their families.
- "Remember, you're not getting that person. You're getting their past three to five generations." - Dr. Mark Leondires
- "Choosing your donor should be a head decision, but it really starts in your heart." - Lisa Schuman
🏳️🌈Interested in advertising? Check out our packages here.
🏳️🌈Resources mentioned in the episode
- “Building Your Family: The Complete Guide to Donor Conception”
- Donor Conception Conversations Podcast
- The Center for Family Building
- Illume Fertility
- Gay Parents To Be
🏳️🌈If you like the episode, make sure to leave us a review and support The Queer Family Podcast on Patreon for as low as $2/month!
🏳️🌈We want to hear from you! Call us: 646-470-1840
🏳️🌈Watch Video Episodes right now on YouTube
🏳️🌈Edited by Jerson Barajas. Theme song: Tiffany Topol\ Logo art: Daneen Stevenato.
🏳️🌈Buy our merch here.
🏳️🌈For a full transcript of this episode and more info about the host visit our website