Episode 30: Social Enterprise and Investment with Danny Almagor of Small Giants
Danny Almagor is a modern-day Renaissance man. Along with his wife, Berry Liberman, Danny founded ‘Small Giants’ – Australia’s first B Corporation – to create, support, nurture and empower businesses and entrepreneurs that are shifting us to a more socially equitable and environmentally sustainable world.
Small Giants has founded and invested in a range of ethical businesses, including:
- Tom Organic,
- The School of Life,
- Dumbo Feather Magazine,
- The Cape Ecovillage,
- STREAT, and many more.
Danny was also a founder of Engineers without Borders Australia. In addition to Danny’s numerous business achievements, he is the Founding Social Entrepreneur in Residence at RMIT and sits on the Advisory board for the Gross National Happiness Centre in Bhutan.
In 2016 he was awarded the Order of Australia. He also set a Solar car record: for travelling from Darwin to Adelaide.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- How Danny manages to fit it all in (you may not like the answer).
- What motivates him to work so hard.
- Why Small Giants is structured as a B Corporation.
- What Small Giants looks when making an ethical investment.
- How to get started in ethical entrepreneurship.
- How Danny got involved in the Bhutan Gross National Happiness project.
- And much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Small Giants (http://www.smallgiants.com.au/)
- The List of Small Giants Portfolio Companies (http://www.smallgiants.com.au/family-of-businesses/)
- Gross National Happiness Centre, Bhutan (www.gnhcentrebhutan.org)
Thanks for Listening!