Episode 64: AI and Privacy with Bärí A. Williams
AI and Privacy with Bärí A. Williams
Bärí A. Williams: VP of Legal, Business, and Policy Affairs at All Turtles, a startup advisor in the tech industry, and a published author in the New York Times, WIRED, Fortune, and Fast Company. Bärí writes at bariawilliams.com.
Our guest this week is Bärí A. Williams, the VP of Legal, Business, and Policy Affairs at All Turtles. She provides legal guidance to startups working with Artificial Intelligence. Bärí was a keynote speaker at RailsConf this year, you can see the video at https://youtu.be/HBAra5J5c90. She and I talk about writing ethical terms of service, and how to collect and use data properly. We talk about facial recognition and other data mining and machine learning topics in the news, and how having a diverse user and testing base can prevent damaging mistakes.
01:48 - The Intersection of Law and Tech
- Bärí's RailsConf keynote: Ethical Issues in the Law and Tech with Production Ideation, Creation & Shipping
03:16 - Writing Ethical and Clear Terms of Service
05:48 - Legal and Ethical Collection of Data
09:01 - Principles That Should Be in Ethical Codes of Conduct
10:38 - Combatting Algorithmic Bias in AI
- Conference Speaking and Diverse Perspectives with Carina C. Zona and Mark Yoon
- Carina Zona: Consequences of an Insightful Algorithm
14:15 - Facial Recognition Technology and The Importance of Diverse Testing
18:07 - Facial Recognition Technology and Preventing the Selling of Information
- Facial recognition creeps up on a JetBlue passenger and she hates it
- HUD Is Suing Facebook For Housing Discrimination
26:39 - Facial Recognition Technology, DNA and the Government
31:18 - Opting In and Out of Things Due to Privacy Concerns
Special Guest: Bärí A. Williams.