Episode 72: Teaching Testing and Design
Teaching Testing and Design
- Betsy Haibel: CTO at Cohere. Blogs at betsyhaibel.com.
- Avdi Grimm: Head Chef at RubyTapas. Blogs at avdi.codes.
- Penelope Phippen: Works at Google, makes Rubyfmt, helps make RSpec, and is on the board of Ruby Central. Blog.
After the discussions on testing and design in episodes 68 and 69, I had so much I still wanted to talk about in testing, design, and teaching testing and design. So I convened a panel with previous Tech Done Right Guests Avdi Grimm, Betsy Haibel, and Penelope Phippen to help me think through all these topics. I was very happy to have all of them on the show, and I think it's a great conversation. Stay tuned until the very end for an update about the show.
Related Episodes with These Guests
- Avdi: 20 Years of Web Development, Ruby Tapas and Avoiding Code
- Betsy: Diverse Agile Teams, How Set Design Can Inform Software Architecture
- Penelope: Code Style and Community, Back in the Testing Weeds, In The Testing Weeds
00:50 - Previously On: Re: Testing
02:53 - Testing and Design
09:36 - Testing, But Not Developer Testing + Sliming The Test
13:41 - Why + How Did You Learn TDD?
20:24 - TDD: Not a Robust Process
24:19 - Rails + Unit Testing
27:41 - Is TDD really dead?
35:06 - Keeping Code In Your Head
37:32 - Approaching the Testing and Design of Code
38:59 - What would convince you to stop doing TDD?
Special Guests: Avdi Grimm, Betsy Haibel, and Penelope Phippen.