Pauline Barker - Mama Bear - and the annual Polar Bear Challenge
This episode is positively bursting with swimming goodness. Pat Kelman is joined by Pauline Barker, known as Mama Bear to her numerous UK Facebook tribes, who is the creator of the hugely popular Polar Bear Challenge.
In this conversation she talks about long distance cold water swimming, the origins of the challenge, the amazing communities she has created online and also shares invaluable tips on staying safe and enjoying cold water swimming all the year round.
We also have our regular Review of the Week slot.
- Episode introduction [0:45 ]
- Review of the Week [2:00 ]
- Pauline's start in cold water swimming [3:35 ]
- First experience in cold water [7:10 ]
- Siberia at -10 degrees [9:50 ]
- Pressing the Reset button [12:00 ]
- The Polar Bear Challenge [14:00 ]
- Swimming as relaxation [22:20 ]
- Safety and Newcomer advice [25:30 ]
- The popularity explosion [31:55 ]
- Finding Pauline [33.10]
- Closing remarks [34:00 ]
- The Polar Bear Challenges website
- Polar Bear Challenges on Instagram
- Pauline Barker website
- Polar Bear Challenge on Facebook
Subscribe, share and review this podcast to enter a competition to win one of five copies of Sarah Norquoy's beautiful memoir, "Salt on my Skin". (ends Jan 31, 2021)