Sept 13, 2020 | I Am Afraid | 2 Cor 12:19-21
Sept 13, 2020 I AM AFRAID 2 Corinthians 12:19-21
I AM AFRAID OF BEING MISUNDERSTOOD 19
Paul explained why he had gone to the extreme of boasting to edify them. He was afraid.
I AM AFRAID THAT WHEN I COME EXPECTATIONS WILL NOT BE MET
- You are not what I wish 20a
- I am not what you wish 20b
I AM AFRAID THAT WHEN I COME THERE WILL BE:20c
- Eris Strife – dissension, discord variance quarrelling, debates contention, the expression of enmity
- Zelos – Jealousy Desiring to have the same or the same sort of thing – envying, indignation
- Thumos Angry tempers wrath fierceness indignation
- Eritheia – selfish ambition faction contention self-seeking Disputes – selfishness, strife, causing division. A hirling attempting to win followers. The order of strife, jealousy, wrath faction is same in Gal 5:20 . Faction is fruit of jealousy
- Katalalia – Kata against laleo to speak = to speak against. slander, defamation, evil speech, backbitings
- Psithyrismos - Gossip whisperings secret slander
- Physiosis puffing up swelling with pride Arrogance
- Akatastasia Tumults - a negative kata down stasis standing – a state of disorder, disturbance, confusion - rebellion riot Disturbances disorderly behavior
I AM AFRAID THAT WHEN I COME AGAIN MY GOD MAY HUMILIATE ME BEFORE YOU 21a
- This will happen if when Paul comes he finds them still acting like described in verse 20.
- Paul wanted the church to deal with their sin so that he would not have to.
- It would be humiliating to have to discipline over boast on them.
I AM AFRAID THAT I MAY MOURN OVER MANY OF THOSE WHO HAVE SINNED IN THE PAST AND NOT REPENTED OF THE IMPURITY, IMMORALITY AND SENSUALITY WHICH THEY HAVE PRACTICED. 21b
- Impurity – uncleanness – a state of moral filthiness, especially in relation to sexual sin
- Immorality – porneia - a generic term for sexual sin of any kind - sexual immorality, fornication, marital unfaithfulness, adultery,
- Sensuality – lasciviousness debauchery, lewdness
If Paul were to come to First Baptist Church would he be afraid?
Would he be afraid that he would find envying, angry tempers, people creating factions, people speaking against others, whispering slander, those who are swelled up with pride and a state of disorder?
Would he be afraid that God would humiliate him as he would have to discipline over boast on us? Would he be afraid that there is not repentance practiced?
Paul was afraid at what he might find in the church at Corinth. Are you afraid at what God knows is in your life?