Week 3: Mental Freedom
This week on the podcast, hosts Dr. Janelle S. Peifer, Ph.D., and Brandon Kyle Goodman dive headfirst into the discussion of safety, spanking, and the stakes of growing up black in America. In week 3 of In Treatment, Dr. Brooke has an intense session with teenager Laila that brings up feelings and fears for both the therapist and the patient. Our hosts unpack the session as well as the controversial choices faced by parents—and how mindsets can change. This podcast is produced by HBO in conjunction with Pineapple Street Studios. Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices
Here’s a list of resources mentioned in this week’s episode:
- Intersectionality for Black women:
- Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence Against Women of Color (Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw)
- Crenshaw, K. W. (2017). On intersectionality: Essential writings. The New Press.
- Double Consciousness:
- Spanking + Abuse:
- Black families, racial trauma
- Black youth mental health
- LGBTQ+ Mental Health
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.