Who has a Kubernetes problem?
Show Description: Brian and Tyler discuss some of the use-cases that businesses have for using Kubernetes. They review several public examples of Kubernetes uses, both in web scale and Enterprise environments.
Segment 1 - Thank you for the great response to the initial show. Response has been very positive and we’ve already had like 8-10 people ask to be guests on the show. The challenge is to figure out what to do on show #2 or #3 since there is so much happening. So we’ve decided that for a while, we’re going to make sure that we cover all the fundamentals of containers and Kubernetes.
Segment 2 - News of the Week
- GitHub announces details of how they use Kubernetes
- AWS does not announce a Kubernetes services at AWS Summit in NYC
- KubeCon CFP is due by August 21st
Segment 3 - How are companies using Kubernetes?
- daemonSets (instance on each node), replicaSets (specific # is always running), jobs (run to completion), statefulSets (stateful apps) vs persistent Volumes (stateful storage)
- Kubernetes Job Openings
- Customer sessions at Red Hat Summit
- OpenShift Commons Gathering (videos)
- Kubernetes Case-Studies
Segment 4 - How to Learn More
- Free Kubernetes Training from CNCF
- Kubernetes by Example (Michael Hausenblas)
- How does the Kubernetes scheduler work? (Julia Evans)
- Kubernetes the Hard Way (Kelsey Hightower)
Segment 5 - Question(s) of the Week
- Q1: What’s the right way to install Kubernetes? There seem like too many options.
- A1: Kubernetes: A Little Guide to Install Options