Zach Collier: Thought Leader, Influencer, Outfitter, YouTuber
Leading Steep: Zach Collier
In this episode, Barry sits down with one of the most well-respected whitewater outfitters and guides in the industry. Zach Collier is the founder and owner of Northwest Rafting Company, which runs many of the best rivers in Oregon, Idaho, and the exotic paradise of Bhutan. Zach is a modern-day visionary and one of the world’s leading experts on the whitewater rafting discipline.
Listen in as Zach shares the various instructional video series and published material he is currently working on in the adventure and whitewater rafting space.
Zach then gives his thoughts on leadership, how he initially struggled to translate his skills as a guide to the challenges of running a business, and the six traits of leadership that he lives by.
Next, Zach talks about how Northwest Rafting Company spread its reach through a few key strategic partnerships. In particular, he discusses his first rafting experience in Bhutan with a group.
Finally, Zach goes into his involvement in the political sphere regarding the preservation and cultivation of rivers and river people communities.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
● [5:12 ] Zach speaks on his many ongoing projects in the adventure space
● [13:56 ] The slowdown of guide school applications and the increase in female guides
● [15:39 ] How Zach entered the world of whitewater rafting and getting into business
● [20:54 ] Zach’s leadership competency model
● [26:45 ] Why vulnerability is part of Zach’s competency model
● [30:30 ] Zach’s strongest and weakest trait from his leadership competency model
● [32:45 ] Zach’s models for leadership—as a guide and in general
● [36:59 ] Starting Northwest Rafting Company
● [42:10 ] Zach’s advocacies for the preservation of rivers and river people communities
● [46:25 ] How Zach feels about how his business is going so far
● [48:16 ] Zach’s parting thoughts on leadership
● [44:14 ] Richard’s involvement with MT Sobek and his various TV and business ventures
Key Quotes by Zach:
● “[On the traits of leadership I subscribe to,] one of them is having vision. One of them is empowering growth. One is building community; communicates, honest, vulnerable. That’s it. I want to lead with those traits.”
● “The most I learned is from getting other people’s advice. We live in an age where we can go to a bookstore and read books, and from our phone pull out a podcast and have amazing leaders at our fingertips.”
● Northwest Rafting Company on YouTube
#guide #guiding #whitewater #river #rafting #guidelife #oregon #idaho #bhutan
Another fascinating journey of a self made leader. The lesson to share our best work expecting zero in return is a new motto for me and the company I work for.