Billy Mick: Cocaine, Toxic Masculinity & Dinner Theatre
Welcome to In the Key of Q the weekly podcast where I chat with inspiring Queer musicians from around the world as they share stories, inspirations and of course their music.
Billy Mick released his first single in 2019. He's performed at Pride and Gay Days events. And in America's pandemic lockdown continued to release songs and music videos. The autobiographical studio album Just Be came out in 2020, followed up by the long-player Levelling Up.
Billy speaks openly in this episode about the challenges of growing up in a household with a father who was both a drug dealer and a bullying influence on the family home. Eventually, Billy escapes into adulthood and performing dinner theatre and on the stages of Universal's theme park in Florida.
A surprise HIV diagnosis eventually leads to hospitalisation and a near-death coma. But emerging from this crisis point Billy's life begins all over again and he goes on to produce some amazing tunes.
He is passionate about the queer community, embracing the ethos of Manchester Pride in the UK. Here he witnessed what he describes as a true community where sub-groups did not disappear into their own silos, and instead mixed and enjoyed each other's strength and power. It’s how he feels out community should be.
- Billy on Spotify, Apple Music, Bandcamp, YouTube, Soundcloud
- Billyon Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- Billy's homepage
If you enjoyed this episode why not take a listen to Daddy Dawg.
In the Key of Q is a weekly 30-40 minute podcast publishing every Tuesday. I’m your host Dan Hall, and in each episode, I chat candidly with a gay/bi musician about their life and music.
Access exclusive interview content and support the production of this podcast by heading over to Petreon and making a small donation.
Enjoy the music of previous guests by listening to these playlists with tracks selected by the artists themselves.
- The podcast can be reached on email and on social media at Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. The podcast’s forever home can be found here.
- Theme tune is by Paul Leonidou.
- Press & PR by Paul Smith.
- Many thanks to Kaj and Moray for their continued support.
- In the Key of Q is presented and produced by Dan Hall and made at Pup Media. Dan has recently produced the landmark BBC film, "Freddie Mercury: The Final Act" (dir. James Rogan) and is the producer of the podcast series Been There Done That. For audio or video production inquiries Dan can be reached here or at Talent Manager.
Would you like to appear on the show? Or have an artist you'd like to recommend, please tell them to get in touch via email.