SonicFluxx: NASA, Synths and Mental Illness
Welcome to In the Key of Q the weekly podcast where I chat with inspiring Queer musicians from around the world as they share stories, inspirations and of course their music.
Sonicfluxx was born and raised in Florida in the United States. And in January 2020, his first single Nothing Will Ever Be the Same debuted at number two in the UK's LGBTQ charts. Quickly following this success was the release of his debut EP, Nostalgia.
His premier performance on stage was at only one-month-old playing Jesus - a tough opening act to follow!
Growing up in Melbourne, Florida just a stone's throw from Cocoa Beach and NASA's HQ he grew up seeing launch after launch into space. This was a town where people didn't dream of becoming doctors or lawyers, they aspired to the stars.
The 1980s sound is hugely appealing to Sonicfluxx, even through he was only a nipper during its reign. The simpler synth sounds appeal to him more than today's complex, multi-layered some might say over-produced tracks.
He speaks candidly in the episode about his music helps him manage depression and mental illness, and how very important it is for queer people to see themselves reflected back in art forms. As with many of us, he cites Russell T Davies' Queer As Folk as a fixed point in time of seared identity.
Sonicfluxx's stylish merch store has also launched, and lucky listeners of this podcast get a 20% discount when entering the discount code INTHEKEYOFQ. This deal does not expire and can be used again and again! Shipping is free worldwide.
- SonicFluxx on Spotify, Bandsintown, Apple Music, YouTube, TIDAL
- SonicFluxx on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- SonicFluxx homepage
- SonicFluxx merch (remember to use discount code INTHEKEYOFQ).
If you enjoyed this episode why not take a listen to Neyon.
In the Key of Q is a weekly 30-40 minute podcast publishing every Tuesday. I’m your host Dan Hall, and in each episode, I chat candidly with a gay/bi musician about their life and music.
Access exclusive interview content and support the production of this podcast by heading over to Petreon and making a small donation.
Enjoy the music of previous guests by listening to these playlists with tracks selected by the artists themselves.
- The podcast can be reached on email and on social media at Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. The podcast’s forever home can be found here.
- Theme tune is by Paul Leonidou.
- Press & PR by Paul Smith.
- Many thanks to Kaj and Moray for their continued support.
- In the Key of Q is presented and produced by Dan Hall and made at Pup Media. Dan has recently produced the landmark BBC film, "Freddie Mercury: The Final Act" (dir. James Rogan) and is the producer of the podcast series Been There Done That. For audio or video production inquiries Dan can be reached here or at Talent Manager.
Would you like to appear on the show? Or have an artist you'd like to recommend, please tell them to get in touch via email.