Congressional Updates Regarding PFAS
In this episode, host Kevin Ferrara recaps listeners with what panelists during the PFAS Discussion Panel spoke about as the continue their work with each other, environmental groups and of course Congress.
Host Kevin Ferrara explained Congress is currently looking at four topic areas consisting of:
- Increasing funding for clean-up operations
- Moratorium on AFFF incineration
- Phase out of non-essential uses of PFAS
- PFAS Blood Testing &PFAS Registry
Additionally, PFAS Discussion Panelists Diane and Paul Cotter spoke about continuing research of PPE that contains PFAS and has a significant impact on wearers. Panelist Steve Kjonaas spoke about where we as a fire service community or even a society overall want regarding PFAS to include regulation.
As the podcast wraps up, host Kevin Ferrara speaks briefly about another location in the United States that is affected by AFFF contamination containing PFAS, Newcastle Air National Guard Base in Delaware where PFAS levels were recorded at 18,140 parts per trillion (ppt), over 259 times the EPAs Lifetime Health Advisory limit of 70 ppt.
Links discussed during this Podcast and PFAS Discussion Panel:
- AFSO21 Website about PFAS: http://www.afso21.com/pfas
- AFSO21 PFAS Discussion Panel Video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=349861839324683
- EWG PFAS Interactive Map: https://www.ewg.org/interactive-maps/pfas_contamination/map/
- Dark Waters, Fight Forever Chemicals: http:www.fightforeverchemicals.com
- Your Turnout Gear and PFOA: http://www.yourturnoutgearsandpfoa.com
- Congressional PFAS Task: https://dankildee.house.gov/congressional-pfas-task-force
Contact AFSO21's Weekend Wrap-up Podcast -
- Email us at email@example.com
As always, keep supporting your local fire and emergency services, stay safe, and keep on listening!