PFAS in Turnout Gear Findings
In this episode, host Kevin Ferrara talks about the recent study conducted by Doctor Graham Peaslee and his colleagues who found firefighter turnout gear contains PFAS and that when subjected to abrasion, sheds particulates containing PFAS that can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled. The research also found that PFAS was found on the gloves of those testing the samples.
As the episode closes, host, Kevin Ferrara talks about how Japanese officials are becoming impatient with the lack of transparency from the U.S. Department of Defense regarding numerous incidents on Okinawa involving firefighting foam or chemicals..
And finally, Kevin talks about how PFAS levels at the U.S. Air Force Academy have declined but no answers were provided by the Air Force or the Department of Defense as to why.
Links to topics discussed in this episode:
- Doctor Graham Peaslee PFAS in PPE Study: https://www.lastcallfoundation.org/nd-article
- PDF Copy of PPE Study: https://3242eb8e-ff90-4a39-ab6d-1b93ce14cbad.filesusr.com/ugd/ca355f_3468c00158104a169196fb1d59e94f3a.pdf
- PDF Copy of PPE Study Supporting Documents: https://3242eb8e-ff90-4a39-ab6d-1b93ce14cbad.filesusr.com/ugd/ca355f_0bb813c764034d8191f7de6ac9acfb2b.pdf
- Japanese Officials Becoming Impatient with U.S. Department of Defense:https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/japanese-officials-lodge-complaints-with-us-military-over-okinawa-hazmat-fire-at-kadena-air-base-1.634827?fbclid=IwAR06vFv8I5v94mgdJJtdSgoJcVGhqGenyzpxM3qovGeV5142mrz8CniHOuM
- Air Force Academy PFAS Testing Results Decline: https://www.usafa.af.mil/News/News-Display/Article/2232446/additional-pfospfoa-test-results-on-af-academy-border-show-levels-below-epa-est/
- AFSO21 Radio Website: https://afso21.com/podcast
Support the show (https://afso21.com/podcast)