Culture Shock and the Holiday Season
Expect the Unexpected
Expats and the Holiday Season
These three topic were planned for separate episodes, but life events meant it made sense to see if I could fit them all into one episode, just in time for the Holidays! I think I succeeded 🤪
I wanted to talk about how strange and different, and sometimes upsetting these special holidays can be for expats living away from their home countries and families.
And the reason these special, family-oriented dates feel so different and sometimes difficult is ultimately down to culture shock!
As for the Expect the Unexpected bit? One of my favourite expat-mentoring mantras is 'Expect the Unexpected'. Some of the ‘unexpected’ is funny, some of it can be a bit frustrating, but we can usually steer ourselves through it all.
Sometimes, however, that unexpected is a complete and utter blind-sider that nothing could have prepared me for.
What happened? Well, listen and find out...
- Get expat life support at every stage of your expat journey - from home to away and back again! Check-in to my waiting list so you can be first to hear the juicy details before anyone else, and get your priority boarding pass when the doors to this very exclusive club are open.
- Want independent advice about your move overseas? For a one-to-one chat, please check my calendar for dates and options here
- Visit ExpatChild.com for more free information about expat life!
- Join my Expat Parents' Support Group on Facebook
- Sign up to receive my Expat Newsletter to keep up to date and in the loop with everything I do
Support the show