Debunking Dog Training Myths: How to safely train your dog with Clinical Animal Behaviourist & Founder of Nose To Trail, Rachel Rodgers #8
Among the many myths of dog training, one of the longest standing is that of needing to be an ‘alpha’, which has the potential to cause far more harm than good.
Being a trainer and behaviourist with 12 years & 3 degrees’ worth of education, Rachel Rodgers - Founder of Nose to Trail - shares her extensive expertise on The Pet Perspective this week.
We’re busting some historic dog training myths, looking at how best to encourage positive behaviours, and highlighting red flags to avoid when seeking a behaviourist.
This episode of The Pet Perspective covers:
- The debunked mentality of needing to appear as an ‘alpha’ to dogs
- Teaching skills through positive reinforcement without always needing treats
- Discouraging bad behaviour without punishing our pups
- When to choose a trainer and when you might need a vet referral to a behaviourist
- Red flags in dog behaviourists, and how to find the right one for your dog
Links and references: https://bit.ly/3FoJhj2