Hummus is a delicious and healthy dip or spread made from ground chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. It's perfect for dipping veggies or spreading on sandwiches and wraps.
What Does Hummus Taste Like?
Hummus has a nutty, creamy taste with a slightly tangy flavor. The lemon juice and garlic add brightness, while the tahini and olive oil gives it a rich, silky texture.
It is a great option for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to dips and spreads made with dairy or mayonnaise.
What Goes In?
The basic ingredients for hummus are:
- Chickpeas: Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are the base of this dip. They're high in fiber and protein, making them a great addition to any diet.
- Tahini: A paste made from ground sesame seeds, tahini is what gives hummus its signature nutty flavor.
- Olive oil: A healthy fat that adds creaminess and depth of flavor.
- Garlic: Adds a bit of spice and a strong aroma.
- Lemon juice: Helps to brighten the flavor of the dip.
- Other common ingredients include salt, cumin, and paprika.
Secret Tips Behind Making Hummus
There are a few things to keep in mind when making hummus at home:
- Soak the chickpeas overnight: This helps to soften them and make them easier to blend.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas: Be sure to drain and rinse the chickpeas before adding them to the blender. This will help to remove any excess starch.
- Add the liquid ingredients first: Adding the liquid ingredients to the blender first will help to create a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Use fresh lemon juice: The flavor of fresh lemon juice is much brighter than that of bottled lemon juice. If you don't have fresh lemons on hand, you can substitute them with lime juice.
- Add the spices to taste: Start with a small amount of each spice and add more to taste. You can always add more, but you can't take it away once it's been added.
Be Selective With Your Olive Oil
Not all olive oils are created equal. When making hummus, be sure to use a high-quality extra-virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
How to Serve Hummus?
Hummus can be served as a dip with fresh vegetables or pita bread or used as a spread for sandwiches and wraps. It can also be used as a base for other dips and spreads.
FAQs Related To Hummus Recipe
What Is The Difference Between Chickpeas And Garbanzo Beans?
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same things. They're just two different names for the same type of bean.
Can I Make Hummus Without Tahini?
Yes, you can make hummus without tahini, but it won't have the same nutty flavor. If you don't have tahini on hand, you can substitute it with peanut butter or almond butter.
Is Hummus Vegan?
Yes, hummus is vegan. It's made with plant-based ingredients and does not contain any animal products.
Listen to our podcast on your favourite platforms: