Part 140 - The Great Carbs vs. Fat Debate. How to fuel yourself after your baseline of animal protein w/ Dr. Jamie Seeman & Kate Deering
In this episode, I sat down with Kate Deering and Dr. Jamie Seeman for a fun discussion on nutrition and our metabolism. This was a great, civilized conversation between two people who have different approaches to nutrition. They both agree on a lot, including the importance of eating real foods, especially animal products, and avoiding highly processed foods like seed oils. They both have a great deal of experience in the department of women’s health and the effects of lifestyle on hormonal health.
Kate Deering is a respected personal trainer and holistic nutritional, exercise, and lifestyle coach. With more than 20 years experience in the health and fitness industry, she prides herself on her out-of-the-box methods that support metabolic health and improve health and body function. Kate has committed her life to finding the answers to optimal health, a high metabolism, and true happiness. Her own journey to health and happiness became the foundation of her teachings and helped her understand why health is not established with dieting and over-exercising but with self-love and an increase in cellular metabolism—usually achieved with eating more and working out less.
Dr Jaime Seeman is a board certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing in Omaha, Nebraska. Born and raised in the state she played collegiate softball for the Cornhuskers. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition, Exercise and Health Sciences. She then went on to graduate medical school and completed her OBGYN residency at The University of Nebraska Medical Center. She currently is in private practice at Mid City OBGYN offering a full range of services in obstetrics, gynecology, robotic surgery and primary care. She is a fellow in Integrative Medicine at The University of Arizona School of Medicine. She is a board certified ketogenic nutrition specialist and has a passion for fitness, preventative medicine and ketogenic therapy not only in her medical practice but in her own life.
You can find her on instagram @doctorfitandfabulous
- (7:45 ) Kate’s take on nutrition – the bioenergetic view
- (9:45 ) Dr. Jamie Seeman’s nutrition strategy
- (14:05 ) Why context matters & metabolic flexibility
- (17:30 ) What’s our preferred fuel source?
- (19:45 ) Is ketosis a stressful state?
- (22:30 ) Glucose vs. Fat and ATP production
- (26:00 ) How to start out with a pro-metabolic diet
- (30:30 ) Problems with low fat diets
- (34:30 ) Why we may want more carbs
- (38:20 ) Concerns with Glycemic variability
- (41:00 ) A low body temperature and the thyroid
- (45:30 ) What constitutes a healthy metabolism?
- (50:15 ) Women & chronic dieting
- (51:20 ) Why not let the body produce its own glucose?
- (56:00 ) The modern world creates chronic stress
- (1:00:00 ) Is red meat a superfood?
- (1:05:00 ) The problem with cruciferous vegetables
GET THE MEAT! http://NosetoTail.org
GET THE FREE SAPIEN FOOD GUIDE! http://Sapien.org