Tech usage in the Philippines
Introduction to "Tech usage in the Philippines "
In this episode of the Lifestyle, Travel & Technology podcast, the hosts Alexander and Garry look into the usage of tech related products and services in the Philippines among Filipino's and Filipina's. Alexander being half Filipino, he knows that social media is a big thing among the people in the Philippines. Sure, social media is a big thing for a lot of us, but the Filipino's on average spend around 50 hours a week on their preferred social media platform overtaking most of Europe.
Unlike many countries in Europe that are considered to be very conservative when it comes to anything tech related, the Philippines is trying to become a key player within the tech industry. They want to achieve this by implementing a Blockchain-based network for legal documents as well as salary's, which is being tested by the central bank of the Philippines. It is also the very first country, where their central bank are open to this emerging trend and are testing it out and even offering incentives for any company to set up their headquarters in the dedicated economic area called CEZA.
Podcast Episode Summary
- Social Media Usage of Philippines versus Europe
- Tik Tok - Filipino's are known for dancing
- Almost all business in the Philippines have an online presence
- Apple phones safer than Android phones?
- People of the Philippines are more open to new tech
- Power of Blockchain Technology
- Central Bank of the Philippines testing blockchain technology
- Silicon Valley of Asia aka Crypto Valley in the Philippines - CEZA = Cagayan Economic Zone Authority
- CEZA is Government backed
- Cryptcurrency and Blockchain is NOT the same
Alexander - "...the central bank of the Philippines - they are the first central bank in the world that are actually trying to implement a blockchain based society..."
Garry - "...they overtake Europeans in average usage...50 hours a week..."