Running Realized Episode Eight: The Sustainable Road Race
First, through the storytelling of the environmental impact of a single large-scale marathon, told by Shelley Villalobos, Managing Director of Council for Responsible Sport. Second, a discussion on current and future state of the sustainable efforts of road racing with Michael Nishi, COO of Chicago Event Management, the producers of the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Then, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can take immediate next steps on being an active participant in making the world of road races a more sustainable place. Finally, a reading from Jordan Marie Daniel, leader of the Indigenous grassroot organization Rising Hearts, as she discusses the vision of creating a socially, economically and environmentally just world.
Meet the guests:
- Managing Director at Council for Responsible Sport
- Training for her first marathon
- Chief Operating Officer & Partner at Chicago Event Management
- Bank of America Chicago Marathon
- Bank of America Chicago 13.1
- Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle
Jordan Marie Brings Three White Horses Daniel
- Lakota Winyan
- Founder of Rising Hearts - donate here
- Altra, Rabbit, and Ultimate Direction Sponsored Athlete
Calls to action:
- Choose races that have sustainable operating practices
- E-mail your race organizers and ask, “when are you providing a carbon offset option?" (not if!)
- Until that’s an option, visit - Sustainabletravel.org to offset your flight and hotel
- Donate: Runners for Public Land, they’re building a national movement of runners dedicated to environmental justice, climate and public lands advocacy, and conservation work. Visit runnersforpubliclands.org for more information.
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email email@example.com to share.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Learn more about Running Realized
Sign up for the Running Realized Newsletter
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us. See you on June 21 for Episode nine!