Running Realized Episode Seven: The Running Joke
First, a story told actor, writer and comedian Jon Glaser (Parks and Recreation, Inside Amy Schumer, Late Night with Conan O'Brien) about his most unique running bathroom stop. Next, a discussion with stand up comedian Liz Miele on the unlikely intersection and parallels of comedy and running, and how both intertwine in her creative process. Then, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can use running as a means to fuel creativty, whether they're funny or not. Or just laugh at themselves on their next unusual running predicament. Finally, a joke about marathons from Liz.
Meet the guests:
- Actor, comedian, writer, producer, and director.
- Known for Late Night with Conan O'Brien (1993), Delocated (2009) and Inside Amy Schumer (2013)
- Recurring role as Councilman Jeremy Jamm on the NBC series Parks and Recreation
- Marathon runner
- Started doing stand-up at 16 in New York City
- Profiled in The New Yorker Magazine age 18
- Appeared on Comedy Central’s “This Week at the Comedy Cellar,” NPR’s “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me,” Hulu’s “Coming To The Stage,” AXS TV’s “Gotham Comedy Live"
- Featured in Runners World in 2015
- Her first book, “Why Cats Are Assholes” is available everywhere
Calls to action:
- Don't take running and life so seriously, have fun with it!
- Donate to Hole in the Wall Gang, a charity Jon has been raising funds for years. Hole in the Wall Gang’s mission is to ensure that children with serious medical conditions have the chance to experience the world of possibilities that camp has to offer.
- Join the Running Realized newsletter
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org to share.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Learn more about Running Realized
Sign up for the Running Realized Newsletter
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us. See you on June 7 for Episode eight!