Running Realized Episode Six: The Load We Carry
First, through the storytelling of Victoria Lo, a Chinese American runner based in Brooklyn, NY, tells the story of a recent mid-run panic attack. Second, a discussion on the intersection of racial trauma, racial identity, and running with Jenny Wang, PhD and Licensed Psychologist. Then, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can take the next steps on being an active participant in making running and the world a safer space for our AAPI community. Finally, a poem written and read by Daryl Murphy.
Meet the guests:
- Avid runner (9 full marathons, 2 ultra relays & 15+ half marathons)
- Founder of Chinatown Runners
- UI/Visual Design
- NYC Bridgerunners
Dr. Jenny Wang
- Clinical Psychologist & Speaker
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology
- Founder of Asians for Mental Health Community
Calls to action:
- Give yourself permission to feel
- Resources for Asian American mental health
- Asian Mental Health Collective - https://www.asianmhc.org/
- Follow Dr. Jenny Wang @asiansformentalhealth on Instagram
- Watch the Amend 6 part series on Netflix
- Follow @chinatownrunners
- Each month Chinatown Runners highlights a specific Asian-American focused organization to support, head to chinatownrunners.com/donate
- Sign up for the Running Realized Newsletter
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org to share.
A special thank you to Daryl Murphy for sharing his poem for this episode, follow Daryl on Instagram @stretchmurphyfor more about his 365+ day running streak for Miles For Justice.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Learn more about Running Realized
Sign up for the Running Realized Newsletter
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us. See you on May 24 for Episode seven!