Running Realized Episode Nine: The LGBTQ+ Runner Experience
First, through the storytelling of Ryan Montgomery, Queer Pro Ultra Runner, on how running has allowed him to explore and better understand himself. Second, a discussion with Chris Mosier, the first trans athlete to represent Team USA, on the past, present and future of advocacy for LGBTQ+ athletes. Then, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can take immediate next steps on being an active participant in supporting LGBTQ+ runners.
Meet the guests:
- Professional Ultra runner
- Altra, 2XU, Suunto sponsored
- Competing in 24hour World Championships in September for Team USA
- 1st Trans athlete to make men’s Team USA
- Nike sponsored
- Two time National Champion
Calls to action:
- Listen to experiences and stories of LGBTQ athletes
- Think about the companies you are supporting through your purchases. Consider if they are rainbow washing to appear to be doing work without supporting LGBTQ+ organizations
- Have empathy towards athletes competing in olympics- we never know what is going on underneath
- Donate to transathlete.com and support all the work Chris is doing at the moment against anti-trans legislation across the country.
Transathlete is a resource for students, athletes, coaches, and administrators to find information about trans inclusion in athletics at various levels of play. The site pulls together existing information in one central location and breaks down information into easy-to-reference areas to help you find what you need.
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org to share.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Learn more about Running Realized
Sign up for the Running Realized Newsletter
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us. See you on July 5 for Episode ten!