Running Realized Episode Three: The Inner Disconnect
It's never been more clear how disconnected we are with ourselves. An exploration of using running as a means to more deeply understand oneself, and how spirituality, introspection, and social justice intersect.
First, through the storytelling of Shaun Martin and how the Navajo have used running as a form of prayer for many, many years. Second, a discussion focused on the intersection of spirituality, introspection, and social justice with Dr. Simran Jeet Singh. Third, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can take immediate next steps on being an active participant in helping oneself use running as a form of inner connectedness, to be tackle difficult subjects in the running sphere. Finally, three-time Olympic Gold Medalist Tianna Bartoletta leads the listener through a breathing and meditative exercise.
Meet the guests:
- The athletic director at Chinle High School
- Founder and race director of the Canyon de Chelly Ultramarathon
Simran Jeet Singh
- Recognized as one of TIME Magazine’s 16 people fighting for a more equal America
- Senior Adviser for Equity and Inclusion at YSC Consulting and a Visiting Professor at Union Seminary
- Best selling children's book author of Fauja Singh Keeps Going: The True Story of the Oldest Person to Ever Run a Marathon
- Multiple time NYC marathon finisher
Calls to action:
- Be more intentional with using running as a means to meditate - Run like a Navajo
- Try a week without running with your headphones
- Write a letter to yourself
- Purchase Fauja Singh Keeps Going: The True Story of the Oldest Person to Ever Run a Marathon
- Join Tianna's breakfast club
- Join Tianna live at 5am PST for a 15 minute morning yoga flow followed by a five minute meditation
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org to share.
A special thank you to Sanjay Rawal for his guidance on helping create this episode.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Learn more about Running Realized
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us. See you on April 5 for Episode four!