Chapter 15 The Six Tuesday - We talk About Emotions (27)
Description
The Sixth Tuesday
第六个星期二
We Talk About Emotions
我们聊了聊情绪
I walked past the mountain laurels and the Japanese maple, up the bluestone steps of Morrie’s house.
我穿过山桂树和日本槭树,登上莫瑞家门前的青石台阶。
The white rain gutter hung like a lid over the doorway.
白色的排水沟像一个盖子一样从门廊上垂下来。
I rang the bell and was greeted not by Connie but by Morrie’s wife, Charlotte, a beautiful gray-haired woman who spoke in a lilting voice.
我按响了门铃,但迎来的不是康妮的问候而是莫瑞的妻子,夏洛特,她是一个银发的漂亮女士,说话有着轻快的声音。
She was not often at home when I came by - she continued working at MIT, as Morrie wished - and I was surprised this morning to see her.
我来拜访的时候她并不是经常在家 - 就如莫瑞所希望的那样,她一直在麻省理工学院工作,所以今天早上见到她让我很惊讶。
“Morrie’s having a bit of a hard time today,” she said.
“莫瑞今天有点不好过,”她告诉我。
She stared over my shoulder for a moment, then moved toward the kitchen.
她的目光越过我的肩膀向前方注视了几秒,又很快转向厨房。
I'm sorry, I said.
很抱歉打扰了,我回答。
“No, no, he’ll be happy to see you,” she said quickly. “I’m sure... ”
“哪里哪里,他会很高兴见到你的,”她急促的回答。“这个我很肯定......”
She stopped in the middle of the sentence, turning her head slightly, listening for something.
话说了一半她又停下来,微微转了转头,听着什么声音。
Then she continued. “I’m sure . . . he’ll feel better when he knows you’re here.”
接着她又继续说。“我很肯定......知道你来了他会感觉好一些的。”
I lifted up the bags from the market - my normal food supply, I said jokingly - and she seemed to smile and fret at the same time.
我举起超市的袋子 - 我的日常食物供应又来啦,我开玩笑的说着 - 而夏洛特似乎微笑的同时皱了一下眉头。
“There’s already so much food. He hasn’t eaten any from last time.”
“这里已经有很多食物了。上次的他都没吃。”
This took me by surprise.
这出乎我的意料。
He hasn’t eaten any? I asked.
他一点都没吃?我不禁问道。
She opened the refrigerator and I saw familiar containers of chicken salad, vermicelli, vegetables, stuffed squash, all things I had brought for Morrie.
她打开冰箱,我看到了那