Cloud Computing - Compute
SHOW: Season 1, Show 1
OVERVIEW: From the creators of the Internet's #1 Cloud Computing podcast, The Cloudcast, Aaron Delp (@aarondelp) and Brian Gracely (@bgracely) introduce this new podcast, Cloudcast Basics.
- What does compute mean in the cloud? CPU, Memory, Operating System (Linux/Windows), local Storage, GPUs, basic networking (I/O)
- How is compute allocated? Bare Metal, Virtual Machine, Container - the concept of “slicing” up a computer into various sizes.
- How was compute allocated before cloud computing? IT tickets, rack & stack, install software, etc.
- What does the cloud computing provider do with compute (responsibilities vs. customer responsibilities)?
- Why are there so many variations of compute? Do some applications require specific compute?
- Does it matter where the compute is located? How do clouds organize the compute (availability zones, regions, etc.)?
- How much does compute cost in the cloud? What are the various ways you can buy compute (or have it be billed - on demand, reserved instances, spot instances, usage credits)?
- AWS - https://aws.amazon.com/products/compute/
- Azure - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/product-categories/compute/
- Google Cloud - https://cloud.google.com/compute
- Oracle Cloud - https://www.oracle.com/cloud/compute/
- IBM Cloud - https://www.ibm.com/cloud/compute
- Digital Ocean - https://www.digitalocean.com/products/droplets/
SUBSCRIBE: Please subscribe anywhere you get podcasts (Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.).
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
LEARNING CLOUD COMPUTING:
Here are some great places to begin your cloud journey, if you're interested in getting hands-on experience with the technology, or you'd like to build your skills towards a certification.
- CBT Nuggets - Training and Certifications
- A Cloud Guru - Training and Certifications
- Cloud Academy - Training and Certifications
- Katakoda - Self-Paced, Interactive Learning
- GitHub - Code Samples and Collaboration