How to use Cloud Computing for Innovation
SHOW: Season 2, Show 1
OVERVIEW: From the creators of the Internet's #1 Cloud Computing podcast, The Cloudcast, Aaron Delp (@aarondelp) and Brian Gracely (@bgracely) introduce this new podcast, Cloudcast Basics.
FRAMEWORK FOR CONSIDERATION
- Access to technology (immediacy)
- Access to technology you might not have had previously (opportunity)
- Ability to experiment (on-demand, lack of CAPEX)
- Location independence
- In 2000, when a startup went to get VC funding, nearly their entire first round (let’s say $50M) went to buying IT equipment. The cost and timing of innovation is too steep and too slow.
- Now, you might get $5M to create that initial MVP (Minimum Viable Product), and not only prove the technology but also prove the business model (“finding market fit”).
- Great ideas no longer need a gatekeeper. Tech skills can be offloaded to cloud services. Open source software is freely available, and examples are published online.
- Innovation can get more immediate feedback (works, doesn’t work, market feedback), as well as iterate (or refocus) without the massive costs of completely re-tooling.
- Experiment with new processes that are not currently in use by your IT organization.
- Try new HW or SW without making a significant commitment (e.g. GPUs, Global CDNs, etc.
- Use SaaS applications to see if you can retire an aging backend system, or new ways to engage with customers.
SUBSCRIBE: Please subscribe anywhere you get podcasts (Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.).
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
LEARNING CLOUD COMPUTING:
Here are some great places to begin your cloud journey, if you're interested in getting hands-on experience with the technology, or you'd like to build your skills towards a certification.
- CBT Nuggets - Training and Certifications
- A Cloud Guru - Training and Certifications
- Cloud Academy - Training and Certifications
- Katakoda - Self-Paced, Interactive Learning
- GitHub - Code Samples and Collaboration