330: How to Ditch Distractions and Get WAY More Done With Cal Newport
Incredible show alert! You don’t want to miss this one: Brandon and David sit down with bestselling author Cal Newport (who wrote So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love, Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World, and so on) to discuss just what makes high performers different than the rest.
Cal shares incredible insight based on his research as a professor at Georgetown University, including how boredom can serve a very useful purpose, how to improve your focus to master your craft, and how building “career capital” can open doors to the life you’ve always wanted.
Cal also shares life-changing advice on how starting the day in “monk mode” can supercharge your productivity, how to set better expectations with team members, and how to rebuild your digital life in 30 days.
This episode is so good you’ll feel guilty you didn’t have to pay. Download it today!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Cal’s story
- Improve your focus and remove distractions to increase productivity
- How to combine “deep work” with “shallow work” to stay mentally energized
- Building career capital you can then invest to build a better life
- What successful people do that unsuccessful people don’t
- How to set better expectations with team members
- How to start your day in “monk mode” and be insanely productive
- How to give your hours a job and make time work for you
- How to use boredom to recharge and motivate you
- His thoughts on social media and how it can rob you of time
- Taking the information you’re learning and letting it sink in
- Detox and rebuild your digital life in 30 days
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- BiggerPockets Pro
- BiggerPockets Calc
- BiggerPockets Podcast 329: Financial Freedom Before 30 Through Just 10 Deals With Felipe Mejia
- BiggerPockets Podcast 327: The “Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat” Method Made Simple With David Greene
- Moment App
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Lifeonaire by Steve Cook
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport
- The 4-Hour Week by Timothy Ferriss
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
- The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
- Gates by Stephen Manes
Connect with Cal