337: Next Level Wealth-Building Through Overseas Development and Opportunity Zones with Russell Gray and Robert Helms
Want to learn from two guys who have weathered several real estate market cycles and come out on top? You’re in the right place!
In this episode, Brandon and David sit down with Russell Gray and Robert Helms, longtime hosts of the Real Estate Radio Guys program. In this wide-ranging discussion, Russell and Robert cover a TON of subjects, from house hacking to investing in overseas resorts. The guys share the lessons they learned from the 2008 crash (hint: don’t rely too heavily on credit) and explain how they’re preparing for the next one. They break down how multifamily investing is just like running a business, and why hiring an assistant is the most important first step when scaling up.
Russell and Robert also tell us why having an A-student mentality can hinder new investors (and make them a target for gurus), and why you don’t need to know every step in order to just get started. You’ll learn why Robert is about to make his 137th trip to Belize, why he and Russell stopped investing in Mexico and Australia, and why you should design your own personal investment philosophy, too.
If you’re a big-picture thinker interested in using the tax code to your advantage and staying on top of market cycles, this show will blow your mind. Listen here or on your favorite podcast app, rate and review us, and subscribe so you won’t miss the next one!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How these guys inspired Brandon
- What an entrepreneur does
- How gurus take advantage of hungry new investors
- How they are preparing for the next real estate downturn
- Their strategy for building big wealth in other countries
- How they learned the lesson about needing sufficient reserves the hard way
- What to do when available credit goes away
- Why they invest in resorts Where we are in the market cycle
- Why they are locking in long-term debt right now What they learned from the 2008 crash How to prepare and win for the next downturn
- What an opportunity zone is and how to use them
- Why they study global economics
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast Robert Kiyosaki
- BiggerPockets Podcast 052: Buying Apartment Complexes, Raising Millions, and Building a Profitable Business with Ken McElroy
- Peak Prosperity
- Brandon's Instagram
- David's Instagram